Today at noon we were off and running on Lunchtime Yoga at ETC! It was great! I was really excited to see 24 people coming in and setting up!
Everything went according to plan with few exceptions. I did a short talk about the Vinyasa practice, accepting your degree of flexibility, there is a right pose for everyone, etc.
We started with some extended Pranayama as the breath was this weeks theme. The sequence unfolded with childs pose, cat-cow, bird dog, downdog-plank, rag doll and then mountain. I taught mountain using the loops without lingering too long. I then demoed Sun A. We were off! I led them through Sun A and by the time we did left-right everyone had it. Here I miscalculated slightly and had them do the whole Sun A Left-right again. Well this had several of them huffing and puffing a bit so we rested on our bellies and I simplified Warrior 1 and 2 in response. The Pinnacle pose for Chapter 2 was Triangle as planned.
We continued through straddle forward fold and then horse followed by standing raised knee, dancer and tree. From here we did a squat on to our backs. At this point I realized time was short and skipped core work. I will get them next week!
Keeping it simple, we did Bridge, reclining half pigeon, isometric leg release and twist. This kept them on their backs (which was needed) but gave a backbend which they were ready for and of course, the important finishing poses.
I talked about welcoming the opportunity for renewal as they got in to savasana. A hearty Namaste and they were on their way. 52 minutes! I went over by two minutes, just as Rolf recommended!
People seemed really happy with the class. They clapped for me and a few people even hugged me! I felt great!
What did I learn?
1. Time goes quickly! Reduce reduce reduce. After 1 set of Sun A they were ready for Warrior 1 and 2. My added Sun A was a distraction. I was just excited that they all had it! I am seeing how to read the class now.
2. I had people in jeans with no mats practicing on carpet! I brought 4 of my mats. Will bring 2 more and another enthusiastic student will bring a couple.
3. I brought blocks and straps and should have distributed them ahead of time - it was obvious who would need them!
4. I was not nervous - just excited.
5. Doing this class is a great way to log some hours before auditioning at local studios!! I really need those hours!
6. I felt that my co-workers really appreciated the class. Several of them had a bounce in their steps as they left!
7. I worked them harder than I had planned. I think the class was about right - without an extra Sun A!
8. What a great relief to get away from the narrative! This is an area where I am torn. I think the narrative gave us a lot to work with - but I was sure ready to put it away.
I have another class on Friday with about 15 fresh students and some repeats! I'll let you know how it goes!
2 years ago