Sunday, February 7, 2010

When the student is ready the teachings appear


I guess the name of my blog was appropriate on Saturday as I met with my fellow teachers for a class reunion at the Yog Sadhan Ashram in West Chicago. This was a very special occasion.

Student
Our colleague Marina gave instruction on traditional yogic methods of cleansing our bodies. WOW. That's all I can say

Teacher
I led an asana practice and really enjoyed seeing how everyone has progressed in their practices. My own critique of my teaching for Saturday was one of pace. I felt I needed to vary the pace a bit at times. Pace is an area I am working on.

Student
Highlight of the day was a class on chapter one of the Bhagavad Gita given by the director of the ashram, Hersh. Hersh is a gifted teacher who explained so many beautiful things to us about the Gita and other important areas of yogic education.

The ashram is free of any religion - they practice pure yoga - which can work with any creed you may have. Hersh gave us important background on the Gita including the events that occurred just before the Gita story begins. It was very helpful for her to set the scene. The teachings were amazing. Thanks so much to Hersh!!

What really struck me about beginning a study of the Gita was being ready to study it as a student. I bought the Gita last year at this time. I opened it and began reading. I thought, "what the heck is this about?" A year later, after studying the Yoga Sutras, I opened the book and began reading and really taking it in. It all seemed totally accessible to me now. When the student was ready . . .

It is really nice that we can learn all of our lives and also find a way to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers